25.1.07

Spending the Holidays in NYC

I left São Paulo on Dec 24, arriving in Newark on Christmas morning. I took an expensive cab to my friend Colin's house in Brooklyn. The driver got lost on the way.

Colin accepted me warmly, and we hung out in his room, ate Chinese food and talked all day and evening as though I had never left. I would stay with Colin the whole time I was in the City, and thank him for having me.


A couple of days later, my former roomate Holly had her annual birthday part at the Roxy. On Wednesdays, they still have rollerskating as they did back in the day. Every time I go I am amazed at the skills of some of the guys and girls there, many of whom seem to have been regulars since the 1970s. It was great t see Holly and Amy, our other roomate from Washington Heights.





I also enjoyed seeing my good friend Lincoln and finally meeting his brother, Colton, after hearing only stories about him for so long.



Other friends, Gretchen and Jay, had us over for dinner one of the nights, too.





On the 31st, my friend Darren had me over to his and Patrick's apartment in Brooklyn for a New Orleans tradition: a New Year's gumbo. They call the New Year reveillon, which interestingly is the term also used in Brazil for that holiday.



For New year's Eve, I had dinner with my Colombian friends Pocho & Juan Manuel and Pepe and Juan, visiting from Spain and Argentina, respectively (see also Argentina entry on this blog). We also had dinner another night while I was in town.





Happy 2007
I also got to see my good friend Chuck a couple of times. Holly came along one of the nights.




I left NYC on the 9th for DC. Back to school:(

No comments: